Thursday, April 14, 2011

Ants!

I grew up sharing a room with my sister for the most part. When I was a teenager, my dad gave me my own room by slightly renovating a walk-in closet/alcove off of my sister’s room. I could fit my bed, dresser, and all my things in it, and it had a door to the roof. The house was old, and because of this door, in the summers ants would venture into my bedroom. Big black ants that you see out in yards. While there weren’t a ton of them and for the most part they stayed by the edge of the door, every night I would feel them crawling all over me while I laid in bed. I spent many sleepless nights flicking off invisible ants and shaking out my blankets.

Many years later, I now live in another very old house (100 years old), and as the weather has warmed up, tiny ants have found their way into our bedroom. I don’t know how they got up here, as they always used to only go for the kitchen, but ant traps are not working and I have to vacuum them up every day. These are those really tiny ants that you only see going after food you leave out in the kitchen. I know they are up here because we keep the cat food bowls in the bedroom (for various reasons too long to mention here), and BF tends to bring his meals up here to his computer and leave the dishes sitting for days.

Now the ants are crawling all over me in bed again. Not really, but I feel them whenever I lay in bed and try to sleep. I keep brushing them off and freaking out whenever I feel one crawl up my leg.

The logical voice in my head knows that this is irrational thinking and seeing four ants across the room in the cat food bowl does not mean they want to climb all over the bed. But the crazy woman side of me ohgodantsgetthemoffmeGETTHEMOFFME!!

And now tonight I saw one ant in our bed, despite there being no food near it. Now I can’t sleep because I keep thinking there are ants in my eyelashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment